top of page

Born to Raise Hell

In the rough and rowdy days that followed the first Metis resistance in 1869, there was a climate of general lawlessness and rowdiness that arose across the northern Plains. Many who participated in the Manitoba dust-up fled to America, or else went further west away from the colonizers. Others stayed around the Red River Settlement and raised some hell. One of those men was Gilbert Godon, known to many as the first “outlaw” of Manitoba.

Gilbert Godon was born at Red Lake, Minnesota, the son of Louis Godon (b. 1820) and Elizabeth Isaac, the daughter of Martin Isaac and Magdelaine Roy. Magdelaine was sister-in-law to Little Shell Band Counselor Louis Lenoir. Although a Metis, Gilbert was considered a member of the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa and drew annuities in 1889. He spent time crossing the border and even raised a family. Gilbert first married Lucienne Collin and they had a son, Simon, born May 20, 1880 at Pembina River. He then married Elise Desjarlais, the daughter of Francois Desjarlais and Marguerite Parisien. Their son Joseph Godon was born in 1886.

Known to enjoy a good time (literally and figuratively), Gilbert would often frequent the Pride of the West Saloon, owned by Dugald Sinclair. This Winnipeg establishment was popular with Canadian soldiers, who would come during the day, and with the Metis population, who took the place over once the sun went down. This arrangement generally kept the peace, but one occasion, in 1873, saw a fight erupt between the soldiers and the Metis. During the fight, one of the soldiers took out a revolver and aimed to shoot Sinclair. Godon valiantly grabbed the assailant and was shot in the arm. This ended the fight and Godon was quickly patched up. He gained a bit of heroic notoriety from this brave act.

Again in 1873, Godon was involved in another incident that was fueled by a night of drinking and brawling. One night in early October, Godon and some of his drinking buddies wound up at the home of bootlegger A.J. Fawcett. The men were already under the influence and Fawcett refused to sell them any more liquor. Godon’s friend Benjamin Marchand took offense to this refusal and threatened violence if Fawcett didn’t sell them some whiskey right then and now. Trying to calm his friend Godon took Marchand outside, but Marchand’s son took offense to his father being berated. The young Marchand grabbed a shovel and started to hit Godon. Fisticuffs ensued, and Godon, Godon's father, and brother made short work of the Marchands. In gratitude, Fawcett produced a bottle and sat down for a drink with the Godon boys. As the night wore on, Godon found he needed to relive himself and went outside. He noticed the younger Marchand standing in the darkness, and being larger and older than the young lad, Godon quickly beat him to the ground. The young Marchand struggled back to his feet to keep fighting, but Godon grabbed an axe and hit the young man with the back of it – dealing him a near fatal blow. Fawcett saw this happen and ran as quickly as he could to the nearest soldier’s barracks for help, but when the soldiers arrived young Marchand died shortly afterwards.

Godon was arrested without incident and was released until a jury could be convened. Deciding that he didn’t want to stand trial, he fled across the border before a grand jury handed down charges of murder against him, but a warrant was issued for his arrest. Because he was hiding in American territory, where he was considered an Indian, it was all but impossible to serve and arrest Godon. But, less than a year later, Godon was in a fight in Pembina. While in jail, the Canadian authorities learned he was in custody and they came to Pembina to claim him on June 19, 1874.

He was quickly returned to Winnipeg, and at his trail the next day, Godon pleaded not guilty to the murder of Marchand. After deliberation, Godon was quickly found guilty and sentenced to hang by the neck until dead. While awaiting his fate, his old friend Dugald Sinclair and a few others petitioned for clemency for Godon and his death sentence was commuted to 14 years in prison instead, and he was sent to prison in Upper Fort Garry. For a time he pretended to be a model prisoner, but he was only biding his time. On September 25, 1876, Godon ran from his work duty and fled in a small boat across the Red River under a hail of gunfire from the prison guards. He quickly disappeared into the woods, and using his outdoorsman skills he lost the guards following his trail. Finding a horse, Godon collected his wife and fled back across the border to Dakota territory by early October.

In early 1877, rumor had it that Godon planned to visit his brother in Emerson. Knowing that Godon would be back within their jurisdiction, a posse was rounded up to take Godon back into custody. The posse surrounded the Godon home, but the expected arrest didn’t go as planned. William Lucas, the leader of the posse, burst through the door of the Godon residence – leaving his men outside to guard for escape. He was shocked to find himself staring down the barrels of Godon’s pistols, but even more surprised when Godon’s mother and sister-in-law jumped on him and beat him to the ground. During the confusion, Godon walked out the door, overpowered one of the posse members, then fled into the woods near the river. Again, under a hail of bullets, Godon made his escape and fled back to Pembina.

Following his daring escape, his time in Pembina was quiet for a while, however, Godon soon found himself in trouble again while drinking at a house party in 1880. Fisticuffs with Alexander Montreault led to some broken ribs, and Godon was tossed in jail for assault with the intent to kill. This incarceration didn’t last long. With the jailer feeling a bit sick, Godon made yet another escape with the help of a couple of fellow prisoners. They overpowered the jailer, stole a canoe from a nearby Pembina Indian camp, and soon disappeared. Godon, knowing that he couldn’t return to Manitoba fled west to the Missouri River. Rumor had it that he and fellow prisoner Frank Larose wound up at a Metis encampment on the Missouri. There, Larose soon died of an illness, but Godon himself disappeared into history - never to be seen again.

291 views3 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Gilbert Godon is my great great granduncle!! We have copies of this story in our family ancestry documents. Very interesting, and I always wonder where he escaped to? Montana?

Replying to

That is so cool! Where are you from? Which line do you descend from, if you don’t mind me asking?

bottom of page